Tuesday, 20 May 2014

Growing Out Curly Hair: My Tips

I've been growing out my hair since I gave it an above-the-shoulder chop it a little over 4 years ago. Long story short I regretted it-- big time. After straightening my hair for about a year after cutting it, I decided that I wanted to wear it curly as my ends were starting to look pretty tragic to the point where my hair wasn't straightening properly anymore. SO I decided to ditch my flatiron and go au naturale. Cue super unflattering afro; my signature look for my freshman year of university. Fantastic.

Distraught, I went to my nearest hair salon for advice. The stylist was very honest with me, and concluded that my hair was going through its "ugly stage." Reality hit me hard, but I was determined to overcome this gloomy interval of low self-esteem subpar hair. Fast-forward 4 years later, and I managed to achieve an agreeable length.  Through my 4 years of trials and tribulations I feel that it's safe for me to say that I learned a lot, so I thought that I would share some suggestions as to what worked for me and my hair (which is type 3A/3B). Hopefully they can help you, too!


1. Don't cut your hair (#sorryimnotsorry) 

There, I said it. And you know what? It worked for me don't hate! specifically because my hair grows at a very slow rate. If I felt like I needed to get rid of damaged ends, I would give myself a trim (worked out to about every 6 months).


2. Don't comb/brush your hair, especially when it is wet. 

I do not own a hair brush or comb. The last time I combed my hair (apart from when I straighten it) was 2 years ago. I have never experienced any problems worth noting. If you cannot resist the urge, make sure your hair is well conditioned.


3. Refrain from applying heat (obvi).

Heat = damage, especially at the ends of your hair, which results in trims, which results in a slower progress, ya dig?



4. Use a very moisturising conditioner/hair mask.

The more conditioned your hair is the easier it is to finger comb it in the shower, which results in less hair loss. Also, if your curly hair is a bit on the dryer side more moisture will result in more manageable hair when it is dry. The Macadamia Deep Repair Masque is very conditioning. 


5. Leave-in-creams, serums and oils are your BFFL (best friend for life). SRSLY.

Moisture 4 life! I recommend it's a 10 anything! They're miracle leave in product and miracle hair mask have been life altering. 


6. Treat your hair to a DIY hair mask.

My go-to hair mask is as follows: 2tbs of all-natural almond oil, for nutrients and moisture, and 5-10 drops of organic peppermint oil to stimulate dem hair follicles. Massage in scalp and focus on the ends. Leave it it anywhere from 4-24 hours. Wash out thoroughly with hot water and shampoo, focusing strictly on the scalp. I try to do this bi-weekly. Coconut oil works great, as well.

"Ayyyyy--"

Unfortunately for us curly girls, growing out our hair isn't easy. But! it is definitely possible with a little TLC and a whole lotta of patience. I hope some of you find these tips helpful and good luck fighting the good fight!!


What are some of your tips and tricks for growing out your hair?





xx mindy

4 comments:

  1. It's really great to see the stickers on the photos. They make me laugh!

    http://industrialbarbie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sara! I thought the photos i took looked a bit dull so i thought inserting cute animals would make it a little more exciting! X

      Delete
  2. I think your hair looks amazing, so full of life! x

    Josie’s Journal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely feel that it does have a life of its own ;) thanks for stopping by! Your blog is fab btw :3 xx

      Delete