Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner Review + MAC Comparison

I like to keep eye makeup it very minimal. I'm a big fan of the 'cat-eye'/winged eyeliner look, and I've found that gel liners tend to give me the lasting power against my oily eyelids.

My first gel liner purchase was MAC's fluidline gel eyeliner in Blacktrack  ($15 USD/ $20 CAD). I love this liner because it's matte, creamy, and it LASTS!

I have fairly oily eyelids, so an eye-primer is essential whenever I apply any type of makeup onto my eye (hard-knock life).  Saying this, MAC's fluidline stayed in place ALL day without a primer and it looked completely undisturbed 6 hours post-application. It even stayed in place after coming into contact with water when washing my face. Believe me when I say you WILL need an eye makeup remover or coconut/olive oil to remove it.

The only downfall of this product is that it dries out fairly quickly. I'm sure that if I used Blacktrack daily I would make an agreeable dent through the product, but the drier the product became, the more challenging it became to get a perfectly clean line. I eventually got fed up and cleaned out the pot for a back to MAC.

I tried to look for a cheaper alternative and tried out the Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (Shoppers Drug Mart $13 CAD). I've seen this product all over youtube, went on to makeup alley for some feedback, and even worked with a girl who wore it (and it looked amazing on her). 

I bought the black and my sister bought the brown. I thought I would give the brush they provided a try. It was terrible, and I threw it out as it didn't compare to the eyeliner brushes I already have.





I wasn't a big fan of this product. Firstly, I could tell that I was going to have problems with it as the product felt very firmly packed into the pot. It wasn't creamy and my brush bowed and bent against it in resistance. It was hard for my brush to pick up any product. The application, however was quite nice and smooth and the colour dried matte. I thought I would try it with no primer just to get a feel of the product. BIG mistake on my part. By the end of the night, my eyes were a goopy mess. The fine tips of the winged points were blurred, and the product also carried to my upper eye socket, giving me a very hollow-eyed look (yeah-- wasn't going for that).


MAC 210, ByTerry BISEAU 2, MAC 266
I tried it again with a primer (urban decay primer potion fyi) on a different occasion. This time the fineness of the wings remained clean, however, the product along the inner corners of my eyes had slipped through the evening and become bare. The product also travelled to the crease of my upper eye sockets (again), leaving my eyes looking very dark and messy.

If you can't already tell by the tone of this review, I doubt I'll be purchasing this again, let alone going through the entire product. I feel that for a few dollars more I can get a significantly better product that allows me to not only skip priming, but also lasts against my oily lids. If your lids are not oily, I'm sure you will have a different experience with this product like my co-worker, however the Maybelline Eye Studio just didn't cut it for me.


hope it's sunny wherever you are!!

xx mindy

No comments:

Post a Comment